The following article is related to factors that contribute to depression and the management of depression with reference to a drug named modafinil sleeping pills which are prescribed to treat depression.
DEFINITION OF DEPRESSION:
Clinically depression can be defined as a feeling of being low or down. It can occur in any age group, most common among growing children, which is considered a natural growth pattern. It is not very serious as these feelings go away in cases short-lived or mild but when it is chronic or severe and long-lasting and it starts affecting the social life and the overall physical and psychological health of an individual intensely, then it should be taken seriously and professional help should be asked for.
CAUSES OF DEPRESSION:
There can be multiple factors contributing to depression, some factors can be triggering or aggravating factors and some can be relieving factors. Below mentioned are some of the causes of depression:
- Anxiety or panic disorders often lead to depression or they coincide with depression so it is important to address the former issues first to treat depression.
- Naturally, a part of the growing process of young children and teenagers is usually short-lived and subsided on its own.
- Any history of abuse, violence or losing a loved one, such experiences may also lead to depression.
- Excessive stress, such as workload or exam stress, may lead to depression.
- It also has a strong tendency to flow in the families, so it may occur in individuals having a strong family history.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS RELATED TO DEPRESSION:
The sign and symptoms can be divided into two categories which are as follows:
EMOTIONAL OR PSYCHOLOGICAL:
- Anxiety and irritability
- Feeling persistently sad
- Lack of interest in any sort of activities
- Urge to remain secluded and alone
- The feeling of being worthless, guilty and hopeless
- Taking foolish risks
- Feeling tired
- Low energy levels even after rest or no physical exertion.
- Inability to concentrate
- Unable to perform daily tasks
- Loss of appetite
- Disturbed sleep pattern
- Unexplainable pains
HOW TO TREAT DEPRESSION?
There are two ways to treat depression:
- Non-pharmacological intervention:
Multiple approaches can help to resolve depression, but before one buys sleeping pills the UK, some non-pharmacological measures should be adopted, which are as follows:
- Find out the offending thing.
- Give them the time, attention and love they need.
- Encourage positive thoughts and habits.
- Let them vent out or be expressive.
- Prevent any stressful situations or surroundings
This category includes medicines such as anti-depressants, sleeping pills in UK or over-the-counter sleeping pills in the UK.
Modafinil is a drug that is available in the market with the brand name Provigil.
THERAPEUTIC INDICATIONS OF MODAFINIL:
Modafinil is the drug that is used to treat multiple sleep-related derangements such as:
- It treats excessive daytime sleepiness, a condition known as narcolepsy.
- It also cures shift work sleep disorder, where a person feels sleepy during the working or the awakening hours and finds it difficult to sleep during the usual sleeping hours. Common among individuals having night shifts or alternate morning and night shifts that messes up the normal sleep-wake cycle.
- It is also prescribed to people suffering from sleep apnea.
- Used as an off-label drug for attention deficit disorder, depression and addiction.
AVAILABLE FORMS AND POTENCIES AVAILABLE:
Modafinil is available in the form of pills and tablets that can be placed sub-lingually (underneath the tongue). For an instant effect, it was also available in powder form and one can snort modafinil but it is no longer available in fine powder form.
THERAPEUTIC DOSAGE TO TREAT DEPRESSION:
The therapeutic dosage to treat narcolepsy is 200mg modafinil one can split the dose to increase effectiveness. A maximum of 400 milligrams can be taken in a day. To treat day shift disorder, the medicine is taken an hour before to remain alert and awake during working hours. It can also treat depression if combined with anti-depressants, and prolonged therapy for up to 3 months has greatly improved chronic depression cases.
ADVERSE EFFECTS OF MODAFINIL:
Patients can procure the drug from a sleeping pills shop but it is important to know the side effects, which are:
- If suddenly the medication is stop then it can lead to drug withdrawal symptoms such as sweating, shaking, chills, nausea and vomiting and confusion.
- Ineffective if used for longer durations.
- Chances of addiction are there. Chances increase if you have a history of drug or substance abuse.
- Difficulty to sleep
- Arrhythmias (palpitating heart)
- Mood changes such as confusion, hallucinations, agitation
- Suicidal ideation
- Allergic reactions to the drug, although rare.